BlueCard is a national program that enables members of one Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS) Plan to obtain health care services while traveling or living in another BCBS Plan's service area. BlueCard links participating health care providers with the independent BCBS Plans across the country, and in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide, through a single electronic network for claims processing and reimbursement.
Program Advantages to Providers
- The program allows you to submit claims for members from other BCBS Plans to the Montana Plan.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana (BCBSMT) is your sole contact for claims payment, problem resolution and adjustments.
Covered Services Under BlueCard
- All inpatient, outpatient and professional services
Services Not Covered Under BlueCard
- Prescription Drugs
- Dental (non-surgical)
- Federal Employee Program (FEP)
How the BlueCard Program Works
Identify BlueCard Members
The main identifiers are:
- PPO in a suitcase logo, for eligible PPO members
- Empty suitcase logo, for Traditional, POS or HMO members
- An alpha prefix (the first three positions of the identification number)
- The alpha prefix correctly routes BlueCard claims for processing
Alpha Prefixes are assigned to every BCBS Plan and start with X, Y, Z or Q:
- First Character — X, Y, Z or Q
- Second character — A–Z
- Third character — A–Z
National Account Alpha Prefixes:
- Begin with letters other than X,Y, Z or Q
- Typically relate to the name of the group, as in UAL for United Airlines.
Verify Eligibility and Benefits
Telephone: Call Blue Card Eligibility 800-676-BLUE (2583). Enter only the alpha prefix on the member's ID number and your call will be routed to the member's home plan.
Electronic: Receive real-time responses to your eligibility requests by logging on to our Secure Provider Portal and clicking on BlueExchange.
Obtain Pre-certification for BlueCard Members, when applicable
Telephone: Call BlueCard Eligibility 800-676-2583 and ask to be transferred to the Medical Management Department.
Submit all BlueCard claims electronically to the Montana Plan, for faster service.
See How the BlueCard Program Works for more detailed information.
eCare is the registered trademark of Nebo Systems.
RealMed is a registered trademark of RealMed Corporation.